Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Bathroom Vanity


Shirin approves

A little while ago we finished renovating our ensuite, which completely changed our lives (our old bathroom was from the 40s). My favourite thing in our new bathroom is however not new at all.

At our local tip/recycle station they have a buy back centre where they sell old furniture that people have thrown out. So whenever we go up to the tip (which is fairly often) I love having a look there. Mostly it's just junk but sometimes you can find some real treasures.

My best find so far is an old chest of drawers that I bought for $5. Even Brett liked it, which is unusual. He usually just shakes his head at all the weird things I bring home for restoration. But he is usually happy when he sees the final result. I'm very thankful that he is so understanding and lets me do whatever I want :)

Anyway, after a bit of thinking, sanding, painting, swearing and sawing the chest of drawers eventually turned into our bathroom vanity. We LOVE it.

As I didn't have this blog when I restored the vanity I don't have any photos of the actual transformation. But what we did was simply to pull off the top and replace it with a ceasarstone bench top that we ordered from a local stone maker. I also sanded it back and painted it in a glossy antique white oil paint. As drawers aren't exactly ideal for a bathroom vanity given that they don't allow enough space for the drain, we also had to saw and rebuild the inside if the drawers a bit.

Finally we bought a counter top basin, a high tap and replaced the handles with cast iron knobs from Bunnings. All up we spent about $800. But it was worth every penny!



My next project will be built in bookshelves in the new office. Stay tuned.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment